Cockroaches are opportunists and will not hesitate to take up occupancy in your bathroom cabinets, behind your dishwasher or under your garden decking. These sneaky nocturnal creatures hide during the day and lurk during the night. You won’t realise they’re there until you see a head pop out of the sink.
When there is one, there are many. Cockroach faeces signals to other cockroaches to join them. Eventually, the population will grow and baby cockroaches will flourish in your house or business premises. So, how do you know if these sneaky creatures are slowly taking over? Well, there are a few signs to look for:
- Droppings that vary in length but are less than 1mm wide and resemble ground coffee.
- Egg capsules called “ootheca”, that is a brown/ red sack which ranges in size from 5-10mm depending on the species.
- Skin sheddings. Cockroaches shed their skin 5-8 times as they mature.
- Damage to food packaging and other organic goods.
- Unusual odours including a musty smell from cockroach defecation.
- Live cockroaches around the house.
Dangers Of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are usually not harmful, however, an infestation can cause many ‘ill’ side effects to yourself, family and colleges. Cockroaches can transmit harmful diseases including:
- E.coli Infections
- Typhoid fever
Furthermore, businesses with infestations can receive a fine from the Health Department, and the conditions are likely to leave a stain on your reputation.
Get Rid of Cockroaches
Cockroach infestations threaten health, finances and reputation. So how could you handle an infestation?
There are two things to consider:
- The fact that these creatures can withstand a nuclear disaster.
- Female cockroaches can drop their egg sacks prior to death, and if a pesticide is used, the babies will become immune to the pesticide.
Often clients use pesticides and initially it works, however, the infestation continues as these pesticide-resistant babies hatch.
Therefore, removing cockroaches is a delicate process that requires careful use of baits and specific pesticides to completely remove the infestation.
What can you do?
This best way to prevent infestations is to control the conditions by:
- Removing all food and ensuring that you rinse out containers. Furthermore, wipe down the benches and store food in airtight containers.
- Control the access to water by ensuring that water isn’t left out, there are no leaks, and mats are dried.
- Ensure there are no gaps for the roaches to enter your home and regularly check/clean cupboards.
If you already have an infestation in your home or office, SWAT-A-PEST are here to help! We removed 100,000 cockroaches from a shopping centre in 30 days! Learn more about cockroach pest control or contact us to book a pest control appointment today.